Friday, February 1, 2008

Bienvenidos a Madrid!




Its been a couple of weeks since I first arrived to Madrid and I´ll admit that at first I felt weird in the city. Not because of the amazing architecture, nor the amazing food, but because I was surprised to find so many similarities between this city and some I´ve been to in South America. As a Colombian native I got the feeling of being at home in Cartagena or Bogota, yet not, so that took a little to overcome. However, now that that´s over with, this beautiful vibrant city has really come to life.

Just like most European capitals, we've found ourselves immersed in a city with plenty of cultural history. On one hand we have el Museo del Prado which is home to many valuable pieces from famous Spanish artists like Goya, Murillo, Velasquez, etc. as well as incredible monuments like the Escorial, or the Royal Palace which bare witness to the power and ingenuity the Spanish monarchy had in the past.

Not only have we found the atmosphere outside our home stays invigorating, but the treats that awaited us at our homes were just as pleasant. Let´s start at the food since its one of my two favorite things about their culture. IT´S GREAT! The one thing that I dislike about going to school at GW is the fact that there are no real cafeterias for us to eat, and I love food. Good food. Here we eat at least three courses at each meal. Salads, entrees, main dishes, desert, its just PERFECT. There is also an amazing variety: Paella, Mariscos, Pastas, etc. For those of us who care for the occasional fast food, they have plenty of Mc Donalds to quench our cravings. (Especially at night when you could really go for some fires and a sundae). As for another highlight of their at-home culture....the world famous SIESTA! That nap that I take every afternoon right after my hearty lunch sets me up for the perfect afternoon, up and awake ready to explore what Madrid has to offer. Lastly and definitely not least, their family life really helps us feel at home. Personally I grew up in a household where family should always come first and love, caring, and sharing with each other was the most, if not one of the most important things in life. They´ve continued to hold on to that spirit throughout the city. I´ve learned a lesson or two myself.

This weekend we will be headed to Cordoba. A city rich with history of past monarchies and empires...after all, we have to remember that much of Spain was dominated by Muslim empires for part of their history. It will be interesting to see how the three cultures (The Jewish quarter as well) blended together in harmony at the time.

For those of us that like the occasional cafe, make sure not to miss the area around Puerta del Sol, headed towards the Plaza mayor and sit down and have some Churros with Chocolate. It´ll be a worthwhile treat.



Greetings to everyone!

Marcos Franco Murillo

P.S. I've left out the Nightlife for another entry! It deserves one all of its own... : )

1 comment:

Dr. Robbins said...

Dear Marcos:
It's great to hear from you. We miss you here in DC. I agree with you about the food and the wonderful custom of the SIESTA! We can't wait to hear about the nightlife, too.